We are an inclusive and diverse organisation.
- 1.1 Our policy applies to everyone who lives and works at Coombe House. We will work to ensure:
- 1. Our services are accessible to all who use them
- 2. Residents, employees and their families and those close to them are respected and free from victimisation and discrimination
- 3. We are an inclusive and diverse organisation
2.0 AIM 1 – OUR SERVICES ARE ACCESSIBLE TO ALL people who live at Coombe AND POTENTIAL people who may come to live at Coombe
- 2.1 We understand the needs and aspirations
of the people who live at Coombe and potential people who may come to
live at Coombe.
- 2.1.1 We are committed to the benefits of
having a better understanding of all the people who live at Coombe and
the wider populations we serve. This knowledge helps us to evaluate the
accessibility of our services and make any necessary adjustments. It is
essential to helping us make sure we deliver high quality services
tailored to the needs of the people who live at Coombe.
- 2.2 Our information and promotional material is appropriate and accessible for all.
- 2.2.1 We will ensure that all the
information and promotional material we publish is: widely available;
written in‘plain English’ and available in a range of formats that meet
the needs of the people who live at Coombe.
- 2.3 We will continuously review our services to ensure that they are accessible to all.
- 2.3.1 No individual should suffer
disadvantage or discrimination in the provision of our services. Through
a process of continual review, and using advice and guidance from TC
Business Services we will ensure that our services are accessible to
3.0 AIM 2 – RESIDENTS, EMPLOYEES AND THEIR FAMILIES AND THOSE CLOSE TO THEM ARE RESPECTED AND FREE FROM VICTIMISATION AND DISCRIMINATION
- 3.1 We actively work to raise awareness of equality and diversity issues in the team
- 3.1.1 We will research and act upon best
practice and use every available opportunity to promote and raise
awareness and understanding of equality and diversity.
- 3.2 Robust arrangements are in place to deal
with instances of victimisation and discrimination. TC Business
Services advise us and provide us with documentation in contracts and
employee handbooks, and paperwork to use at interview and application
- 3.2.1 We will work to eliminate
discrimination and demonstrate an equitable approach to the rights and
responsibilities of all individuals regardless of their gender, gender
identity, sexual orientation, race, religious belief, age, disability
and health, marital/dependent status, offending background and union or
political membership status.
- 3.2.2 We believe that in order for Coombe
House to prosper, everyone must be respected and free from
discrimination and victimisation. We will work to ensure that people who
live at Coombe and our employees are dealt with in an open and
- 3.2.3 All instances of a breach of this
policy will be investigated and acted upon. Any act of discrimination or
victimisation by employees or failure to comply with the terms of this
policy will result in disciplinary action.
4.0 AIM 3 – WE ARE AN INCLUSIVE AND DIVERSE ORGANISATION
- 4.1 receive comprehensive ongoing training
in respect of equality and diversity and the changing needs of the
people who live at Coombe that we care for. At induction all are given a
copy of the Employee Handbook, prepared by TC Business Services. The
handbook includes a detailed and comprehensive section on Equal
Opportunities, which we refer to alongside and as part of this policy. A
copy of this section of the handbook is attached at the end of this
- 4.1.1 Every employee will be given equality
and diversity training at induction and on regular intervals after that.
This will ensure that they are aware of their responsibilities and have
the necessary knowledge to act in accordance with the policy.
- 4.2 Our workforce reflects the diversity and cultural profile of the local community.
- 4.2.1 We will regularly review the diversity
and cultural profile of our workforce to ensure that they are
reflective of the communities we serve.
- 4.3. We will ensure that all the people who
live at Coombe and the people they have chosen to speak for them are
given the opportunity to play an active role in our day to day life. We
will proactively target underrepresented groups and design our
involvement activity to ensure maximum accessibility.
- 5.1 Coombe House is ultimately responsible
for the leadership and delivery of the equality and diversity policy and
it will have overall responsibility for the commitment and
implementation of this policy.
- 5.2 We provide learning and development,
setting guidelines for implementation and operation of the policy. We
also employ respected and qualified trainers to provide regular,
relevant, up-to-date and comprehensive in-house training for all.
- 5.3 All,are required to state that they have read and understand and will adhere to the policy.
- 6.1 A copy of this policy will be made available to every employee and will be always available for consultation if needed.